It is said that you get what you measure. When performance measures are aligned with lean goals at the plant, value stream and cell levels, the entire organization focuses on what is critical to lean — maximizing the flow of production at the pull of the customer and eliminating waste. Traditional measures, developed for a mass production environment, focus on resource utilization and efficiency and tend to promote over-production and the building of inventory — exactly a potential waste that lean wants to avoid. With lean performance measures, everyone in the plant will understand how his/her job is related to the company’s lean targets and what they need to do to achieve those ends.
- Measure value stream progress toward shorter lead times, improved quality, meeting customer delivery requirements
- Measure cell adherence to takt time / management time frame appropriately
- Create visual displays that alert to conditions threatening achievement of daily targets for the cell
- Link continuous improvement and change programs to lean measures
- Empower individuals to take actions consistent with lean goals
- Align goals, measures and incentives at corporate, value stream and cell with business strategy