Failure Mode and Effects Analysis or FMEA is a structured technique to analyze a design or a process to determine shortcomings and opportunities for improvement. By assessing the severity of a potential failure, the likelihood that the failure will occur, and the chance of detecting the failure, dozens or even hundreds of potential issues can be prioritized for improvement. While the best way to learn how to conduct an FMEA is by actually working on an FMEA team, an FMEA team will be most productive when everyone on the team has a baseline understanding of FMEA terminology and methodology.
- Manage designated personnel with the skills to conduct and complete an FMEA of products or processes
- Define types of FMEA’s
- Know the important benefits of FMEA
- Be familiar with components of FMEA
- Understand process requirements
- Select cross-functional teams